Saturday, July 30, 2011

There: Tuscany, 4400km

So, after roughly 4400 km I finally made it to Tuscany, a place I had never been to before and I was very eager to visit. Checking out the picturesque landscape with the bike proved to be the ideal way to get to know the region; I guess it is a much more intense experience than doing the same thing with a car.
My main tours took me to Florence, Siena, and San Gimignano (and I saw much more on the way there). All three sites were absolutely stuffed with tourists, and in little San Gimignano this even disturbed the medieval atmosphere, I felt. In Florence, there were three queues of several hundred meters each in front of the famous cathedral at midday (one queue for the cathedral's interior, one for its tower, and one for the cupola/dome), something I had only experienced before at the Tour Eiffel in Paris and the Mao Zedong Mausoleum in Beijing ... Additionally, there was another comparable queue in front of the Uffizi museum - a  queue I managed to avoid by being at the place at 7.30 in the morning :-) Fortunately, the Uffizi museum and the cathedral draw the majority of the tourists in Florence, so that other sights such as the Medici tombs were less packed..
Siena was just as stunning as Florence, in particular the cathedral interior was more ornate than the somewhat empty and undecorated interior of the Florence cathedral.

In order to meet my parents in the south of Germany during their vacation, and since I want to be back home by mid-August, Tuscany/Siena was the most southern point of my journey (a street sign stating "Rome: 214km" was the most southern point).

No comments:

Post a Comment