Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sur le Pont d Avignon ... Finally, after 3078km and 30 days!

After more than 3000 km of cycling in 30 days, I have arrived in Avignon (--> St Rémy de Provence, a little town some 20 km south of Avignon). Great success! Great feeling, too, to cross the river Rhone from Villeneuve-lez-Avignon and see the world famous Pont d Avignon relics and the stunning Palais des Papes in front of me.
Day 21, Grenoble - Valence, 137km; day 22: Valence - Orange, 119km; day 23, Orange - Pont d Arc (Ardeche Gorges) - Orange, 144km; day 24: Orange - St Rémy de Provence/Avignon, 62km
As you might have noticed, I stayed in Orange for an additional day. This is because I wanted to visit the gorges of the Ardeche river (--> day 23) and see the Roman theatre in Orange.

I have now been staying in Provence for 1 week and have been visiting sights busily, and have had major issues with my bike..
Day 25, St. Rémy - Avignon - St Rémy, 44km; Visits to the Papal Palace, Pont d Avignon, and Villeneuve-lez Avignon. On the way back, the chain of my bike ripped apart for the second time. This sucked big time, especially because this happened on a Saturday evening (and shops in France close on Sunday and Monday ... lol?!) and I was missing the necessary piece to repair the chain.
Day 26, no biking but visit to Nimes (Roman Amphitheatre, Maison Carrée, Tour Magne, ...) with public transport (poorly developed in France unfortunately).
Day 27, no biking again but visit to famous castle ruin Les Baux, by means of public transport.
Day 28, REPAIRED BIKE!!, St Rémy - Arles (Roman Amphitheatre, Ancient Theatre) - Tarascon (Chateau de Provence) - Pont du Gard - St. Rémy, 140km
Day 29, St. Rémy - Mont Ventoux - Fontaine de Vaucluse - St. Rémy, 187km. This was my longest ride so far and took me (to Fontaine to Vaucluse and) Mont Ventoux, the last of the Tour the France challenges I was hoping to master: 21km, from 300m altitude to 1912 metres altitude. I was feeling great that day (and also had two bikers of about my capacity behind me during the last kilometers which I did not want to let pass) and it only took me 2 hours to go up :)
Day 30 (today), St Rémy - Camargue - St; Rémy, 145km. I rode the bike to the Rhone delta (called Camargue) and saw the wild white Camargue horses, black Camargue bulls and thousands of rose flamingos :)

So I have seen everything here I was aiming at and I am planning to leave Provence tomorrow and head through the Luberon to the Verdon Gorges. Afterwards, I am planning to cut through the mountains to the Mediterranean Sea and leave France via Cannes-Nice-Monte Carlo. Hope everything continues to be cool :) Will keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment